estate agent talking to young couple

5 Unbeatable Reasons to Use an Estate Agent to Sell Your Home

  • 19th April 2016

Written by AshleySherwood

Nobody enjoys the stress of selling a house on their own. Where do you start? How do you get my house noticed? How can I maximise my budget? With so many options available nowadays when selling your house privately online, it can be easy to forget that you have a wealth of housing experts right on your local high street.

Estate agents spend their days organising and finding dream homes for customers, which makes them the best people to turn to when you’re thinking of selling your property. Here we’ve compiled a list of the 5 reasons to sell with estate agents so that YOU can see why it’s always worth turning to the property experts.

  1. Knowledge of the local market

The housing market is notoriously unpredictable. A house that goes on the market for £150,000 one year might sell two years later for £180,000. Unless you like to move around properties like a piece on a Monopoly board, then the chances are you won’t know everything there is to know about the current state of the housing market in your given area. Estate agents do have that knowledge. They deal with properties day in, day out and so are experts in tracking where and when properties are most likely to sell, and can use this knowledge to benefit you.

  1. Knowledge of the local buyers

Any good estate agents will be keeping their data in good order, and this means that they will have a whole store of potential buyers in our books – some of whom might be the perfect buyer for your house and have already supplied their ideal criteria for the kind of place they’re looking for. Not only can an estate agent point these people in the direction of your property, they will be able to price your house at a figure that will appeal to those who might be interested. The last thing you want to do is dramatically over or under-price your home, and so knowing what people would be willing to pay for it is crucial in those initial stages.

  1. Marketing expertise

It’s unlikely that you’ll be able to market your property quite like an estate agents would be able to. Property experts understand the jargon of house-selling – from the keywords that appeal to potential buyers, right through to the complicated terms and conditions that the average Joe might not understand – and can implement these to sell the properties in our systems more quickly. They can use the correct platforms and strategies such as email marketing or social media to drive the biggest audience to our properties, as well as recommend certain ways in which you can improve your home before you sell it – whether a lick of paint on your kitchen wall, or a roof repair that you never got round to doing.

  1. Reach a wider audience

Did you know that 60% of properties are sold online, but the remaining 40% are sold through people going into estate agents and searching for properties physically? Go online only and you could miss out on almost half of your potential audience. Whilst this figure is constantly changing with the progression of digital platforms, it’s still definitely worth seeing how an estate agents could help you with all of the non-digitalised aspects of house selling such as putting a board up outside, or even advertising in local news outlets.

  1. More effective negotiating

Not got the negotiating skills of a top class salesman? Not a problem! One particular advantage of using an estate agent is that you don’t have to deal directly with the buyers – something that might cause unnecessary stress for those who don’t enjoy bartering and might unintentionally weaken your position and lose you money. An estate agent can manage the negotiation for you to ensure that you’re getting the best deal possible.

Are you looking to sell your home? Our MoveNow team can help! Get in touch with us today.